Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gratitude

This time of year, so many will voice what they are thankful for.  I wish it didn't take a holiday to get us recognizing what we are thankful, but let's be realistic.  It often times does.  I'm not an expert at gratitude.  I tend to not be optimistic unless it is about YOUR life, so many times, I just wallow in my perceived shortcomings. (READ: my focus is inward and not outward)

Today while chatting with my sister online, I was just overwhelmed with how much I love and cherish my family - almost to the point of tears.  (Could be the hormones... but hey.  I'll continue...) 

I thought about last Saturday when my mom, my sister and I went on a long-awaited shopping outing.  We had a most joyous time - they even put up with me and my sensitivity to smells right now - which is quite difficult this time of year.  (The Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays evidently mean that everything must smell 20x stronger!) 

I thought about my husband who I am blessed to be on this journey to parenthood together.  He loves me in spite of myself.  I thought about my email exchange today with my 2nd mom (my step-mom) and a smile came to my face.  I always hear/read such encouraging words from her.  I thought about my sweet mother-in-law. 

I love this time of year... how festive it is... the cooler weather... the food... OH THE FOOD... (someone pass me a slice of pumpkin pie please)... the red cups at Starbucks... the sweaters... I could go on.  But the thing I LOVE the most about this time of year is spending time with my family.  It warms my heart. 

So today, I am thankful for my family.  The Lord has truly blessed me.  We may be quirky.  We may be slightly dysfunctional... haha.  We may not be perfect.  But we are family. 

2 comments:

McGrath Five said...

Your family over here leans toward the dysfunctional. He he! Love you, lil' sis!

Mom said...

I love reading your thoughts about gratitude. You are truly blessed, and I am as well. We did have a most joyous time on our shopping outing...didn't we? :-)

Oh, I guess I definitely qualify as one of your "quirky" family members; I'll wear that label with pride!